The origins of Zwaag date back to the 13th century. This village is located in The Netherlands / Holland. The church tower dates from around 1500. Originally, the population consisted of sailors and craftsmen. Zwaag was then a town, but it lost its town rights after lengthy disputes with nearby Hoorn. From the 15th century onwards, Zwaag was a village of berry growers and dairy farmers. From 1900, more and more greenhouses were built for growing flowers, mainly tulips and roses. In 1979, it became part of Hoorn, so that Hoorn could expand and absorb the surplus population of Amsterdam. The capital of the Netherlands, Amsterdam, is about 40 kilometres away.